Change Your Mind Set for Weight Loss
When you seek to make positive changes that will benefit your health, the transition can take time. Choosing healthier options over your usual fare takes willpower and resolve. Many people seeking lasting change give up long before they begin to see results due to negative thinking and patterns that have long held them down. You will undoubtedly have to give up foods and lifestyle choices but what you gain in return far outweighs the challenges you may face. Is losing weight hard? Well, the answer is complicated. Advanced Surgical and Weight Loss Institute offers the residents of Brevard County and beyond a rapid weight loss program completely personalized to their needs. From the very first consultation to life post-surgery, we work with our clients every step of the way. We know that lasting weight loss is possible and we want to give our clients the best tools to achieve this from the very start.
According to the Mayo Clinic, attitude is often underappreciated when it comes to weight loss. This is because people tend to dwell on the “negative” aspects of the diet. They view this change as restricting their lifestyles and something they have to do. When you approach a diet this way, you are destined to fail. Instead of dwelling on the negative, you can change your thinking and learn to appreciate all that your new choices will do for you. Here are some common thoughts that most of us experience when shifting to a new eating plan:
- I can’t eat my favorite foods.
- I absolutely hate this.
- I’m going to be hungry all the time.
- I don’t have the strength to keep this up.
- I don’t like vegetables.
- I won’t be able to go out with my friends and family.
Notice the defeating tone of all of these statements? This mentality sets you up for failure before you even begin. Rather than focusing on these perceived negatives, try shifting your attitude to thoughts such as these:
- As I change my eating patterns, I am going to love entirely new foods.
- This isn’t what I want to do, but this is something I can do. I will learn to love my new choices.
- Once my body adjusts to all the great foods I am feeding it, my hunger will lessen.
- I am strong! I can do anything I set my mind to.
- I get to try all new types of foods.
- I can still enjoy treats and not deprive myself. I just have to plan ahead and account for them.
Permanent weight loss is more akin to a marathon than a sprint. You are making choices that will help you change your life for the long haul. It may not be easy, but with a positive outlook and some grace, you can lose the weight.