The Importance of Exercise After Bariatric Surgery
In order to reap all of the benefits of your bariatric surgery procedure, it is extremely important to incorporate exercise into your daily routine. Not only will exercise maximize the amount of weight you will loose but it will help to ensure that the weight stays off for good.
Why is Exercise Important?
- Increases energy
- Burns calories
- Helps lower blood pressure
- Reduces fat while building muscle
- Helps strengthen bones and build the immune system
- Improves mood and self-esteem
- Relieves stress
Stay Fit With Physical Activity
- Tour at a local park or forest preserve.
- Start your activity with a warm-up. This will build a better work out and help prevent injuries to your muscles.
- Use stairs instead of taking elevators or escalators.
- Housework or outdoor activities such as gardening and yard work are great opportunities to be active.
- Park your car farther from your intended destination.
- Go sledding, ice skating or skiing.
- Water aerobics and swimming provide great exercise with low impact on the body.
- Don’t forget moving the lawn or shoveling.
- Find a hobby. Turn off the television or computer.
- Sports are fun and help you stay fit.
- Make a date to go for a daily walk, play sports or other activities.
- Yoga has many positive benefits including building muscles and reducing stress.
- Be creative in finding ways to be active.
- Exercise with friends or family.
Contact Advanced Surgical and Weight Loss if you need guidance and information about the various weight loss surgery options available. Dr. Diego Velarde is fellowship trained and has many years of practice in all areas of bariatric surgery.